[Coral-List] Responding to Coral Bleaching

Andrew Ross ross.andrew at mac.com
Thu Sep 17 12:52:01 EDT 2015

Doug & Austin,
What Austin is describing might be akin to the recreational hunting programmes for lionfish in the Caribbean
“Eat it to beat it” etc.

Problem in transferring to COT might be:
Lionfish are a) tasty b) easy and c) invasive, thus with reduced karmic baggage.
COTs, unfortunately
a) hasn’t got a straightforward secondary value such as lunch and
b) is often difficult to remove from the reef while poisoning doesn’t provide a “trophy”.
c) Overpopulation &/or ecosystem damage arguments may mitigate one’s issues with St Peter et al.

So, how do we make COT hunting “sexy” to bring in the recreational?

b) Trophy:
Methods that remove the animal from the water for a photo or competitive-count expose the diver to stings and tend to be relatively inefficient.
Air-inflating methods might start to get around that.

a) Food/use:
A soup or roe-based sushi?
Chicken feed?
Do they at least make a decent garden fertilizer?

c) Karma:
May be a paid "voluntourism” activity,
though this often gets its own complications, particularly as key areas get hunted-out and less efficient for the hunter/operator.
With collection (trophy & Facebook photos) would be better, but such volunteers may be amenable to poisoning.

Thinking out loud,

Andrew Ross Ph.D.
Seascape Caribbean