[Coral-List] FADs danger for coral reefs

mtupper mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Sat Sep 19 07:43:15 EDT 2015

Hi Steve and List,

The type of FADs you describe have been around for 20+ years and are used
globally. They were invented in the late 1980's by John D. Hall. Their original
name is "Instrumented Drift Fish Aggregating Device" or ID-FAD. I like your name
better. Most of them are designed to drift around the oceans, finding fish and
reporting back to fishing vessels. There are also stationary (moored) versions.
They are very common in Indian Ocean tuna fisheries, as Sarah mentioned. They
are also common in the across the Pacific, and the folks at SPC-FAME in New
Caledonia or WCPFMC in Pohnpei could probably tell you all you need to know..
They are used in the Caribbean too but I'm not sure how much.

The following description is from the US Patent Office, which issued the patent
in 1991.

"Broadly speaking, this invention is a device for attraction of pelagic game
fish having means to locate the device and, in alternative embodiments, means to
indicate to the fishermen data on the quantity of fish which the device has
attracted.

(snip)

The instrumentation mounted to the buoy include various combinations of a strobe
light for visual location, a radio which may use a satellite system for long
distance transmission of location and seawater temperature data, and an acoustic
link which, together with the radio, sends fathometer data on the quantity of
fish attracted by the device. This last information enables the fishermen to
determine whether to harvest the fish associated with a particular buoy or
whether it is not worth the final specific location determination and movement
through the water in that direction."

In the early 2000s, the EU launched an interesting research project that used
these ID-FADs to document fish attraction to, and behaviour around, FADs. The
project was called FADIO (Fish Aggregation Devices as Instrumented Observatories
of pelagic ecosystems). You can download the project report from the Western and
Central Pacific Fisheries Commission in Pohnpei at
http://www.wcpfc.int/node/1732. IFREMER has done similar studies in the
Caribbean. It's a bit ironic that this method of fishing causes concentrated
fishing mortality but has also provided a wealth of data on pelagic fisheries
and ecosystems. I seem to recall (but I'm not certain) one or two governments in
the Pacific actually requiring instrumentation on FADs so that fishery-dependent
data could be collected.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Tupper, Director