[Coral-List] Responding to Coral Bleaching

Tim tim at atolleditions.com.au
Mon Sep 21 08:56:51 EDT 2015

Hi Austin,

There are around four Stegastes damselfish in the Maldives, of which two species Stegastes nigricans and Stegastes lividus – both widespread Indo-Pacific species – appear to be the most common.

I'm not sure how many species occur elsewhere, or their abundance, but if I had to choose representative species to monitor across the entire Indo-Pacific, it would be these two. Would you agree?

What about the other farmer damsels, the Plectroglyphidodon? Plectroglyphidodon lacrymatus and Plectroglyphidodon dickii are two of the five common Maldives, widespread Indo-Pacific species. From your experience, are these as equally aggressive in attacking COTS?

Is there any benefit to be gained by widespread Indo-Pacific monitoring of representative fish species, such as the Stegastes, as a comparative COTS study before, during and after outbreaks?
I ask this because if controlling COTS outbreaks means involving the wider community for assistance, involvement can be made more enticing by providing interesting and stimulating engagement in monitoring activities.

I also adhere to the KISS principle, Keep it Simple Sid (as well as Keep it Sexy Sid!)

Regards

Tim Godfrey
Atoll Editions
www.atolleditions.com.au
www.fishesofthemaldives.com

 that are absolutely essential in the post-bleaching survival of