[Coral-List] Responding to Coral Bleaching

Andrew Ross ross.andrew at mac.com
Wed Sep 23 11:02:56 EDT 2015

Francesca and List,

To clarify a bit: my earlier note was simply spitballing options/incentives to decentralize a “cull” by making it an ongoing harvest, a self-valued element of the fishery.
Chicken and pig-food on an atoll seems a pretty good incentive, and also a reasonable starting point for further conversation.
As a dried and therefore somewhat storable thing, such harvest could/would occur primarily during a bloom when catch-per-effort is adequate(?).

I do also appreciate the high-emotion of the word “trophy”.. It was a poor choice, certainly, and particularly with poor Cecil so fresh in the memory.
Unfortunately, that repugnant concept still efficiently captures a sport element that may be (distastefully) necessary to rapidly muster a self-supporting labour pool (tourists).
The vinegar direction may offer something a little different and maybe equally attractive.

Andrew