[Coral-List] Reaching a general audience

Steven Miller smiller52 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 10:28:13 EDT 2015

It's not just reaching the public, but reaching the public persuasively
that should be a goal. Therefore, we need to learn how to tell better
stories.

Few of us are trained to tell stories outside the structure of our
papers, which works fine for professional reasons.  It doesn't work so
well when you want to captivate a public audience or when you enter the
realm of mass media.  What does work?

Randy Olson's new book, Houston, We Have a Narrative: Why Science Needs
Story, reveals simple methods and provides tools for how to tell our
stories better.   Randy's previous books focused on the problems
scientists have communicating to wider audiences. Houston We Have a
Narrative provides the solution.

If you don't believe me, 19/20 reviews on Amazon are Five Star (you will
recognize many reviewers as prominent marine scientists), the other was
Four Star and included, "Scientists... should embrace his methods in
driving their messages into the mainstream population."

What do you have to lose?  Read the book.  It's not like we are winning
with our current communication strategies.

Best regards

Steven Miller, PhD
Senior Research Scientist
Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center

--

http://www.nova.edu/ocean/overview/faculty-staff-profiles/steven_miller.html
http://www.nova.edu/ocean/research/labs/miller.html