[Coral-List] reef fight

Robert Bourke rbourke at OCEANIT.COM
Tue Apr 5 14:58:37 EDT 2016

John;
   Over the past 25 years, I have taken a slightly different approach to ameliorate the impact of coastal development upon nearshore reefs, and it seems to have worked fairly well.  Most developers are not really evil people and would prefer not to decimate the coastal resources upon which their marketing staff has based much of their promotional material.  They just don't understand the ramifications of their development upon the environment, nor do they know how to do it right.

Rather than try to "prevent" the coastal development from occurring, perhaps you could either work with the developer (or make sure the developer chooses good consultants) to ensure that low impact development methods are used.  We can all easily point to developments that have had large adverse impacts upon coastal resources.  It requires a good deal more effort to point out those that have been designed to work within their environment and then translate these positive attributes to new coastal development schemes.

Aloha

Bob Bourke
Oceanit

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov [mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov] On Behalf Of John Hocevar
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 6:44 AM
To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: [Coral-List] reef fight

Hi -

I have been on this list for many years, and have followed the discussions about what we as a community can do to prevent the loss of coral reefs.

Today, I am looking for your help in identifying reefs that are currently threatened by major development projects (eg resorts, ports, or golf courses). Ideally, I'm looking for cases where there is a local community trying to protect their reef from a large developer. Bringing more support and attention to that kind of battle would be a powerful story that we could turn into a local victory as well as a much bigger story about the urgent need to protect reefs in general.

Please feel free to reply directly rather than to the full list.

John Hocevar
Oceans Campaign Director
Greenpeace USA
jhocevar at greenpeace.org