[Coral-List] Identifying bleaching resistant reef location: Should we have expected the far north (remote) GBR to have been so vulnerable to coral bleaching?

James Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 11 12:51:47 EDT 2016

Hi, Scott,

    In your post, below, you say, "Such coherence between predicted and
observed responses is far and away the best test of the reliability of a
model – independent of the choice of predictive error score and the like.”

    I'm assuming when you say "predictive error score and the like" you
are referring specifically or generally to the post of Ruben van Hooidonk,

    http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/pipermail/coral-list/2016-April/016815.html

    I'm wondering why you dismiss his critique.  What specifically is
wrong or misleading with what he says?  Also, I don't think he used the
term "predictive error score," a term which I'm not familiar with, so
I'm wondering if you have a citation or clarification for that term (I'm
guessing "and the like" refers to van Hooidonk's discussion of skill
score accuracy).

    Thanks!

    Cheers,
    Jim