[Coral-List] Bleaching on reefs in Western Australia

Andrew Halford andrew.halford at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 21:46:17 EDT 2016

I just wanted to tweak the numbers Doug has recently posted on bleaching
effects in Western Australia.

There is definitely NOT bleaching of 80% of WA's coral reefs. There is
bleaching of >80% of corals in specific locations such as the offshore
atoll reefs of Scott and Seringapatam. However, these surveys are being
undertaken as we speak and the full extent remains unknown. There is
bleaching along inshore reefs of the Kimberley which is possibly a first
for this region however we do not have any reports of bleaching in the more
southerly reefs, such as Ningaloo and the Abrolhos Islands and all other
reefs in between.

Stay tuned.

AH

--
Andrew Halford Ph.D
Research Scientist (Kimberley Marine Parks)

Ph: +61 8 9219 9795
Mobile: +61 (0) 468 419 473