[Coral-List] couple more articles on the Amazon reefs in the press

Barbara Kojis bkojis at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:14:09 EDT 2016

They discovered a sponge and rodolith reef, not a reef made of scleractinian coral.  Coral reef is an inappropriate term for these reefs.  At least the ones described in the article.  There may be actual coral reefs on the edge of the Amazon plume.
Actual coral reefs, with extensive scleractinian coral cover, often occur under the plumes of much smaller rivers in Papua New Guinea and I imagine under the plumes of many other tropical rivers.  The PNG reefs under the river plumes are not visible from the surface because of the thick river sediment plume.  However, they flourish about a meter or two under the plume.  Their depth distribution is restricted by the attenuation of light by the sediment, but these reefs have/had (I last looked at these reefs about 30 years ago) high coral diversity and high cover.

Barbara Kojis, Ph.D.
Prescott, AZ 86305