[Coral-List] 3. Re: Identifying bleaching resistant reef locations: is it possible?

josh.hoyles josh.hoyles at northumbria.ac.uk
Mon Apr 25 12:37:42 EDT 2016

Scott,

Surely this depends on the species of Coral within the area of study? scleractinian coral is more resistant to thermal stress events due to a more rocky structure? For example on the Lighthouse and Turneffe Atolls of Belize this coral is present and has resisted certain bleaching events, (1.3% mortality due to bleaching yet over 2.5% mortality overall) however due to the dynamic environment and influence from large climatic events ie hurricanes the species of coral could in theory change in a very short amount of term due to large debris deposits? Perhaps by reducing the nutrient loads and volume there is less change of a shift in species? who knows, the complex life of a coral spawn. (I could be wrong however these are the results I found in my thesis).

Regards,

Josh Hoyles

Message: 3