[Coral-List] An extensive reef system at the Amazon River mouth

Rodrigo Leão de Moura moura.uesc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 17:32:39 EDT 2016

Professor Shinn, I appreciate your wise comments about the long term
resilience of reefs and the large scale of our ignorance about these
ancient and fascinating ecosystems. However, I would like to add that the
concerns with oil & gas drilling expressed in "The Atlantic" article and in
our paper go beyond the immediate impacts from local damage from drilling
itself. Brazil's response capabilities to oil spills and mining disasters
are very limited, and we are currently haunted by large scale contamination
of drainages and coastal ecosystems, including our unique Abrolhos reef
system (www.abrolhos.org). As you are probably aware, despite our economy's
size, Brazil's democracy is not as stable as it should be, institutions are
overall weak, and environmental agencies have very limited reach. If an
accident occurs in the very dynamic Amazon shelf, we might take several
months before starting to respond appropriately. There is a rush towards
hydrocarbons in the Amazon shelf, including expensive and high-risk
deep-water drilling, and it is expected that compatible investments on
research, conservation, and environmental management (e.g. fisheries) are
also made. It is indeed surprising that the Amazon reefs were not
considered in previous EIAs from oil companies...  From my humble
perspective, another neglected issue in terms of the environmental and
social impacts of oil & gas exploitation is the sudden flow of millions of
dollars in regions that suffer from extreme poverty and endemic corruption.
I strongly believe that well-informed pressures and a close watch from the
international community, especially scientists, might help us change this
sad status quo.

Here are a few "references" to the points I am raising. Could fill several
pages with evidence supporting my statements.

Warm Regards, Rodrigo

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/12/seeking-answers-catastrophic-brazil-disaster-151224071626923.html

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/nov/25/brazils-mining-tragedy-dam-preventable-disaster-samarco-vale-bhp-billiton

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/business/international/effects-of-petrobras-scandal-leave-brazilians-lamenting-a-lost-dream.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2016/04/21/the-real-reason-behind-the-impeachment-of-brazils-president-dilma-rousseff/#2cfc1bf06759

--
*Rodrigo Leão de Moura, Dr.*
Professor Adjunto, Instituto de Biologia

http://lattes.cnpq.br/8814217649491828
http://www.abrolhos.org <http://www.mouralab.org/>
http://www.mouralab.com

cel: + 55 (21) 99609-2724        skype: r.moura