[Coral-List] seeking Xesto sponge spawning observations

Butler, Casey Casey.Butler at MyFWC.com
Wed Apr 27 12:45:30 EDT 2016

Does anyone on Coral-List have observations of barrel sponge spawning?  We have been recording observations around the Florida Keys, and are interested in collecting more Xestospongia muta spawning observations in the hopes of summarizing some of their spawning behavior.

I appreciate any info you can provide regarding the location, date/time, temperature, depth, and perhaps if you recall whether males were releasing sperm (smoking), females had eggs (looks like foam), eggs were being released into water column (drifting foam), or whether there was a gelatinous mass around the sponge (embryos).

If you haven't seen these amazing sponges spawn, check out our video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zWrSmpkV_I

Thank you!

Casey

Casey Boleman Butler
Biological Scientist
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
South Florida Regional Laboratory
2796 Overseas Hwy Suite 119
Marathon, FL 33050