[Coral-List] Conservation value of octocorals in the Philippines

david at cahuelmo.com david at cahuelmo.com
Mon Aug 1 22:48:36 EDT 2016

Dear coral listers,

I am reaching out to find more information on the conservation value of octocorals. I am working on the establishment of some marine protected areas in the Philippines. Recently I came across a shallow water (2-5m) coral community with a high number of octocorals (sea fans and whip corals). I know that some species are very rare and slow growing but really dont know much about them. I was wondering if anybody could tell me more about the importance for conservation of those based on photos. I can send photos via email.

Regards,

David