[Coral-List] Guardian Article on Recent Studies by Bruno & Valdivia

Curtis Kruer kruer at 3rivers.net
Fri Aug 12 13:36:55 EDT 2016

I, too, felt distressed reading the Bruno and Valdivia paper noticed here a
few weeks ago, after having watched firsthand the degradation of the Keys
from the 1970s through the present - from the mangrove wetlands through the
reef tract. Scientists preach about the inter-related coral reef "ecosystem"
that must be managed and protected as one system to protect all the
inter-related habitats, including the reef.  If the B&V paper is correct
then logic would dictate that even if all the negative impacts from
shoreline development, destructive south FL and FL Bay water management and
water quality degradation, sewage and nutrification, overfishing, boating
impacts, diver impacts, trap fishing and trap damage, anchor damage,
historic dredging, marine life collecting, etc, etc were removed and never
happened that we wouldn't see a noticeable difference today in the health
and condition of the present day Keys reef tract.    I don't buy it at all
and believe the article and title should be reworded or edited to make more
sense.

Curtis Kruer