[Coral-List] Two news stories about coral reefs

frahome at yahoo.com frahome at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 06:21:39 EDT 2016

I believe there is more than one elephant in the room, the other beingan economic system based on infinite growth. Probably this one is more of amammoth.

You can't run such a system (and related lifestyles including flyingaround to see reefs and attend conferences, enjoying a meat based diet and afull set of gadgets activated while sitting on the couch) on a decreasingsupply of energy (neither on a decreasing population...but let's stick just toenergy).

Renewables have a lower EROEI ratio (Energy Returned On Energy Invested)than the one fossil fuels have granted us, they are subject to intermittentavailability and are difficult to be carried around and stored.

Have you tried to count how many solar panels and wind turbines are neededto replace fossil fuels in the current system and the near future (e.g. the 2-3decades mentioned in this discussion) as forecast by trends in consumption andtechnology advances? Try!

Have you tried to estimate how big a battery of a Boeing should be evenconsidering the highest theoretical limit of chemical energy storage?

Technology can help but likely only to transition to a very differenteconomic system and much lower energy/simpler lifestyles, not to keep business asusual.

The relatively good news is that it doesn't seem this transition will bea choice but it will be forced to us by peak oil and environmental issues, theonly problem is that, unless we take it before it is forced on us, it might be toolate for reefs (and not only reefs…) as we know them.

Francesca