[Coral-List] 2017 ASLO Aquatic Sciences Session: Mitigating acidification in coastal ecosystems: the challenges of implementation in the context of uncertainty

Koweek, David dkoweek at carnegiescience.edu
Mon Aug 29 12:23:05 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

Are you working on ocean acidification mitigation or remediation in coastal
systems? We invite you to submit abstracts for oral and poster
presentations to a session organized around this topic at the upcoming
meeting in Hawai’i in February 2017. The abstract submission deadline is
October 14, 2016.

We plan to develop a stimulating session with presentations from
researchers and practitioners at the cutting-edge of ocean and coastal
acidification science. We welcome presentations from researchers using a
wide variety of experimental and modeling approaches from diverse
disciplines, with special interest in those who merge multiple approaches
(i.e. field, lab, modeling) and/or who combine work from the biophysical
and social sciences. We envision this session as an opportunity to help
identify current knowledge gaps in our ability to critically assess
proposed OA interventions, as well as generalizable approaches and insights
that will aid in science-to-policy needs for local actions to address
acidification.

Thanks so much for your consideration,

Aaron and Dave

########################

Session Information:

ASLO 2017: Mountains to the Sea

Feb 26-Mar 3, 2017

Honolulu, Hawai’i

Session 088-Mitigating acidification in coastal ecosystems: the challenges
of implementation in the context of uncertainty

Session Description:

Recent research has illuminated the biological impacts, geochemical
drivers, and dynamics of ocean acidification in the coastal environment.
Following our improved understanding of the impacts of acidification in
coastal ecosystems, there has been increasing interest in local-scale
biogeochemical approaches to mitigate, and potentially remediate, the
problems of coastal acidification. Such approaches generally fit into three
categories: (1) the restoration and enhancement of CO2 uptake provided by
aquatic photosynthetic organisms, such as sea grasses and algae, (2)
alkalinity buffering through the intentional dissolution of calcium
carbonate, such as discarded bivalve shells, and (3) geochemical
engineering by enhanced air-sea gas exchange. Interest in implementing
mitigation approaches in state-level OA policies is rapidly increasing. Yet
there remains substantial uncertainty about the heterogeneity, variability,
and effectiveness of such approaches when scaled to the level of
implementation. Such challenges include the durability of carbonate system
interventions in naturally variable coastal ecosystems, and whether these
changes translate into desired outcomes for target organisms in the context
of multiple stressors. This session welcomes research focused on the
challenges of variability and uncertainty associated with scaling OA
mitigation to implementation. This session will also consider key lessons
learned, best practices, and guidelines for future intervention research
and practice.

Session Organizers:

Aaron Strong, University of Maine, School of Marine Sciences

aaron.strong at maine.edu

David Koweek, Carnegie Institution for Science, Department of Global Ecology
dkoweek at carnegiescience.edu

--
David Koweek

Postdoctoral Research Scientist