[Coral-List] Trump's MPAs

Nicole Crane nicrane at cabrillo.edu
Tue Dec 6 10:18:44 EST 2016

Hi everyone,
I agree that being proactive is a good idea.  However, I also think that having that list might be just the ‘evidence’ or at least justification (that for example there are low priority areas) for the agency responsible to make those cuts.  In some ways, this might just be under their radar enough for them to not even think about it amidst all of the other changes they are working towards.  Perhaps having that list prepared (amongst our community), in case it becomes critical, is a good idea, but not disseminating it?  I have been seeking counsel from those I know in federal elected positions, and this is my hunch.  But I’m happy to have feedback, and do encourage others with political connections to seek further counsel too.

I do think we should do our homework first however before providing recommendations that might become an excuse to do exactly what many of us fear.

On another note, there may be some opportunities here.  I have had some unexpected luck with senate committees that I expected not to support marine conservation.  When put to them that community based conservation will likely enhance food security (a national security concern too), and possibly reduce dependency on foreign aid (eg. ours) if applied effectively, it can get a very positive response. I think its a critical time for us to evaluate how we approach conservation (in terms of selling it), what the message is, and to be strategic about the stated outcomes.  I’m probably stating the obvious here, but psychology and strategy are more important than ever.

Hang in colleagues, this will be a bit of a journey….

Nicole