[Coral-List] Trump's MPAs: original scientific articles (acidification; fish extinction)

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 14:24:59 EST 2016

The article Steve refers to has links to several legit articles, including
an article from last year in the popular press:

Growing corals turn water more acidic without suffering damage

New Scientist

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28468-growing-
corals-turn-water-more-acidic-without-suffering-damage/

original article:

Shifts in coral reef biogeochemistry and resulting acidification linked to
offshore productivity

Proc Nat Acad Sci

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/47/14512.full.pdf

open-access

also of possible interest:

pH homeostasis during coral calcification in a free ocean CO2 enrichment
(FOCE) experiment, Heron Island reef flat, Great Barrier Reef.

Proc Nat Acad Sci

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/43/13219.full.pdf

open-access

Coral reefs can have big effects on water around them if it is a very small
body of water:

Koweek et al 2015 High-resolution physical and biogeochemical variablity
from a shallow back reef on Ofu, American Samoa: an end-member perspective.
Coral Reefs 34: 979-991.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/David_Koweek/publication/279741097_High-resolution_physical_and_biogeochemical_variability_from_a_shallow_back_reef_on_Ofu_American_Samoa_an_end-member_perspective/links/5715284b08ae8ab56695a58d.pdf

Ware et al. 1992.  Coral reefs: sources or sinks of atmospheric CO2? Coral
Reefs 11: 127-130.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marjorie_Reaka/publication/225851225_Coral_reefs_sources_or_sinks_of_atmospheric_CO2/links/548362c30cf25dbd59eb0da8.pdf

fish extinction: another, unrelated, older article I just became aware of:

The likelihood of extinction of iconic and dominant herbivores and
detritivores of coral reefs: the parrotfishs and surgeonfishes

PLoS One

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0039825

open-access

Cheers,  Doug

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Steve Mussman <sealab at earthlink.net> wrote:

>  I would suggest that the risks go beyond MPAs to virtually all coral reef
> ecosystems on the planet. Somewhere along the line the scientific community
> must recognize that it is more than speculation to consider that
> governmental policy is about to shift and not in a good way. In case you
> missed it, the deck is being stacked with administrators who consider
> anthropogenic climate change to be mythical or put another way, trumped-up.
>
> Here's a piece from a news source that was under the direction of the
> incoming administration's chief strategist and senior counsel:
> http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/11/12/science-
> says-evil-coral-reefs-acidify-oceans/.
>
> The EPA seems to faring no better. No, this forum isn't about politics,
> its about science and now more than ever, the integrity of everyone
> involved.
>
> Regards,
> Steve
>

> Sent from my iPad

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS, and consultant
"have regulator, will travel"
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Coral Reefs is the only journal
that is ALL coral reef articles, and it has amazingly LOW prices compared
to other journals.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Countries reach landmark deal to limit global warming
http://fortune.com/2016/10/16/global-warming-hfcs-deal/
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/how-key-number-new-deal-curb-refrigerating-chemicals-was-born?utm_campaign=news_daily_2016-10-28&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=940885

Policy: hasten the end of dated fossil-fuel subsidies
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v538/n7624/full/538171c.html?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20161013&spMailingID=52515861&spUserID=MjA1NTA3MjA0OQS2&spJobID=1022286029&spReportId=MTAyMjI4NjAyOQS2

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner

blog: http://ocean.si.edu/blog/reefs-american-samoa-story-hope