[Coral-List] Bracing for the Ministry of Truth

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Wed Dec 14 11:27:17 EST 2016

Thanks David:

I think your post focuses on issues that are more likely to be the roadkill
of the next four years. As the referenced article points out, all that has
to happen is for someone at the high levels of government to decide that it
is too costly to maintain the infrastructure for sites we use to educate
the next generation of scientists (and the public). After all, who can
argue with "trimming government waste"? I could be wrong, but your post has
made me think about whether the real impacts are going to come more from
passive neglect than from active lobbying against science. This is not to
say that the latter will not occur. However, we might consider that, while
we worry about a new administration actively campaigning against valid
climate science, benign neglect may be our worst enemy. If this is a
realistic concern, then does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the
existing flow of information in tact?

Best,

Dennis