[Coral-List] Why do fish swim upside down in caves?

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 09:38:41 EST 2016

When I took my first class in Coral Reef Ecology back in 1978 this was a
topic of great interest.

I pulled this reference out of my required reading list from that course.
It may answer a lot of these questions.

Meyer, D.L., Heiligenberg, W. and Bullock, T.H., 1976. The ventral
substrate response - A new postural control mechanism in fishes. *Journal
of Comparative Physiology A: Neuroethology, Sensory, Neural, and Behavioral
Physiology*, *109*(1), pp.59-68.

"Some fishes show a tendency to orient their ventral side towards a
substrate and may thus tilt considerably when swimming near vertical walls
or even under the ceiling of caves. This behavior was named the*Ventral
Substrate Response (VSR)* and was quantitatively studied in the black
croaker (*Cheilotrema saturnum*, Sciaenidae) and in the weakly electric
fish *Eigenmannia* sp. (Rhamphichthyidae)..."

Hope this helps!

cheers,

Bill