[Coral-List] New paper: shark researcher conservation policy preferences

David Shiffman david.shiffman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 10:02:37 EST 2016

Hello, everyone!

I wanted to share with you a new paper of ours published today in
Conservation Biology. This paper shares the results of a survey sent to the
membership of AES, EEA and OCS last year. We asked about society members'
personal histories of conservation advocacy, their preferences towards a
variety of conservation and management regulations, and their perspectives
concerning the environmental movement's shark conservation advocacy.

We found that while shark researchers generally support a broad range of
conservation policies and regulations, they believe that sustainable shark
fishing is possible, is happening in a few places, and should be the goal
of conservation instead of trying to ban all fishing.

We also found that shark researchers believe that ocean conservation
advocacy is both appropriate and necessary, and many reported signing
petitions, calling or writing their elected officials, or including
specific policy recommendations in their papers. Conservation is a
responsibility that shark researchers act on personally and professionally.

Finally, we found that most shark researchers are pleased with the state of
environmental advocacy, but expressed concerns about some bad actors in the
conservation community who use incorrect facts to focus on ineffective
solutions to problems that are flashy but not the most important.

A .PDF of the paper is attached, and it can be found online here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cobi.12668/abstract

Please let me know if you have any questions, and please share with any
interested colleagues.

Sincerely,

--

*David Shiffman*