[Coral-List] Call for abstracts at ICRS: Session 67: Informing management decisions under risk and uncertainty

Ken Anthony K.Anthony at aims.gov.au
Fri Jan 8 08:27:20 EST 2016

Dear Coral-Listers

We invite you to give a talk in our session 67 at the 13th International Coral Reef Symposium 19-24 June in Hawaii: Informing management decisions for coral reefs in a world of risk and uncertainty.

https://www.sgmeet.com/icrs2016/sessionschedule.asp?SessionID=67

Session summary:

Coral reefs are under pressure from local, regional and global factors affecting ecosystem values, the goods and services they provide, and the people and economies they support.

Reef managers and policy makers are often faced with a paralysing three-way challenge: system complexity, mixed objectives and uncertainty.  Hence, management strategies often risk being based on judgement rather than on the balance between environmental, economic and social risks.

Our vision for the session is to bring the decision challenges for coral reef management and policy to the foreground. That is, given our understanding of the environmental drivers and ecological, social and economic risks and consequences under different scenarios, how can coral reef science best guide environmental decision-making processes locally and globally?

This session will explore ways to
(1) carve paths through complexity of decision problems,
(2) put all objectives on the table (e.g. environmental, social and economic)
(3) embrace uncertainty, and
(4) provide transparency around the decision-making process

We invite speakers from a wide range of fields to bring their approaches and examples of decision analyses into the coral reef realm. This includes conservation work where structured decision analyses against a triple bottom line have been successful in supporting strategies of sustainability.

We welcome participation from natural and social sciences, reef managers, conservation practitioners and policy makers.

We envisage our panel discussion will provide the basis for a timely journal paper.

Please note the deadline for submission is 15 January 2016.

We have pasted the key conference webpages here for your convenience:

1.       Conference website:  https://www.sgmeet.com/icrs2016/default.asp

2.       Abstract submission page:  https://www.sgmeet.com/icrs2016/abstractinfo.asp

Please note that the submission portal will close on 15th Jan

3.       Registration page: https://www.sgmeet.com/icrs2016/registration-fees.asp

Early-bird registrations also close on the 15th Jan

We look forward to receiving an abstract from you, and to seeing you at the conference!

Ken Anthony (k.anthony at aims.gov.au)

Aaron MacNeil (a.macneil at aims.gov.au<mailto:macneil at aims.gov.au>)

Terry Walshe (t.walshe at aims.gov.au)

The information contained within this transmission is for the
use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged material and/or material the subject
of copyright and/or personal information and/or sensitive
information that is subject to the Privacy Act 1988. Any review,
re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited. If you have received this email in error please
notify the AIMS Privacy Officer on (07) 4753 4444 and delete
all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.