[Coral-List] [EXTERNAL] USACE used bad science to rule out useful instrument for siltation monitoring

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Sat Jan 23 14:54:40 EST 2016

Terri,

The SediMeter was invented for and used in my doctoral dissertation in 1990 at the Department of Physical Geography at Uppsala University, arguably the prime department for quantitative geomorphology in the world (according to American scholars, since we Swedes surely are biased according to you). The head of the department was sitting in the Nobel Prize committee, and I've since worked with him using the SediMeter (his main competitor in consulting was the USACE, by the way). In my thesis the SediMeter was used to detect erosion and sedimentation events on a millimeter scale, and nobody put its usefulness for that purpose in question during the public dissertation. Thus, to go from a measured standard deviation of 0.82 mm, to a conclusion that it's only useful for centimeter-scale measurements, is contradicted by some of the foremost scientists in the field, those who were the opponents at my dissertation (including one who has written a beach erosion software in collaboration with USACE). It's not the measurements themselves that are outrageous, its the totally unfounded conclusions.

Best,

Ulf Erlingsson, Ph.D.
President and CEO
Lindorm, Inc.