[Coral-List] conflict of interest

Magnus Johnson m.johnson at hull.ac.uk
Sun Jul 3 15:21:31 EDT 2016

I think Ray's main points are around that fact that Greenpeace are not attacking the science, they are playing the man . . which suggests that they have no reasonable argument to make against his science.  They have recently been criticised by 107 Nobel laureates for misrepresenting science around GMOs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/29/more-than-100-nobel-laureates-take-on-greenpeace-over-gmo-stance/?postshare=1121467216840608&tid=ss_tw

(I have issues with GMOs but they are more to do with corporates disadvantaging artisanal farmers)

The point about MPAs is that they exclude fishers from areas where they can target fish.  The Chagos reserve is a case in point.  It doesn't protect tuna, in fact it may be resulting in more illegal fishing using gear that takes more bycatch of sharks as there are no legitimate fishermen protecting their own rights to fish there and reporting illegals and local surveillance is inadequate.

The point about declining catches - that can be down to a myriad of things.  Catches are not good representations of biomass.  Catches can decline because of falling population or improving legislation/protection. They can increase because of increasing effort, better reporting or increasing populations (e.g. because of good management).

Ray isn't some fishing industry stooge.  His recent work has suggested that while our management of large scale fisheries has improved somewhat, there is a need now to focus on artisanal fisheries where the picture is much more murky.  He's not against MPAs per se, they have their place in the arsenal of fisheries managers/conservationists.  Like most sensible folk he recognises that they are not a silver bullet for marine conservation, we need to be clever and use a range of tools to ensure sensible conservation and exploitation based on science.

People are quite free to take a moral stance against fisheries etc, there is no need to dress it up with bad science.  e.g. see Eugene Balon's work on the ethics of angling www3.carleton.ca/fecpl/pdfs/Balon%20MS.pdf

I've seen that "fox amongst the chickens" analogy so many times.  It's just so wrong when applied to fisheries management.  It stems from Hardin's classic paper on "tragedy of the commons".  The fundamental flaw in the paper (despite the fact it stimulated so much excellent work afterwards) was that it assumed that people didn't speak to each other or make agreements.  In some circumstances the analogy applies but people recognise nowadays that you can change the arena so that people can develop home grown management systems that endure.  There are many examples in fisheries.  See the work of Ostrom.  The future will lie, not in enforcement, but in tinkering with the rules so that conservation is an integral part of the system not something that opposes fishing.

  cheers, Magnus