[Coral-List] NEED ADVICE!! - ACTIVE MORTALITY EVENT AT FLOWER

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Sat Jul 30 11:47:51 EDT 2016

Readers are asking if there are any oil seeps near the Flower Gardens.
The answer is yes. They have been known for many years and researchers
at Texas A and M have published descriptions of them in the past. It is
important to know that FGB exists because it sits on topography created
by a salt dome. Most of the oil fields in that part of the gulf are
associated with salt domes. Without the salt dome the water depth would
be around 400 ft. and there would be no Flower Gardens. Descriptions of
brine seeps in deep water around its base have also been published in
the past. I recall that many researchers pointed to the presence of oil
and gas seeps as evidence that corals are not noticeably harmed by
natural crude oil seeps. Similar seeps occur in coral areas elsewhere in
the world such as near Trinidad and some parts of Indonesia. In early
experiments I immersed corals in crude oil for more than an hour and
they were not affected. It is important to remember that oil and gas
floats to the surface and does not stick to corals because of their
mucus. I must admit those experiments were performed in the early 1970s
before coral diseases became rampant.

I agree it is tragic that the Flower Gardens is experiencing symptoms
increasingly observed on many other reefs especially those in much
shallower warmer water. I wish we really knew what was causing this
unprecedented event. There are calls for help on the coral list but
clearly there is nothing we can do now except monitor the situation. If
we knew the cause it would be different. It would be especially useful
to know why the long-term Monitoring site has not been affected? Time
will tell but it is likely the diseases will spread. Unfortunately
monitoring is often like that TV commercial featuring a uniformed man
standing in the middle of a bank robbery. He is there to monitor and
determine if indeed a robbery is taking----not stop it.

Seems ironic that another issue brought up on the coral- list is a
proposal to expand the FGB to include nearby areas. Other than
preventing anchor damage and possibly controlling fishing one has to
wonder if sanctuary status could prevent what the FGB is presently
experiencing. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor