[Coral-List] Coral Reef Degradation

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 30 12:08:51 EDT 2016

Dear Esther,
For sure ecological impacts due to climate change are a direct threat to human populations as well as to coral reefs and other marine and terrestrial ecosystems. My frustration with the leadership of the scuba diving industry in light of their refusal to acknowledge and promote understanding of this issue reflects on "the big picture" as you described it . . .  their lack of involvement and advocacy contributes to further delay the implementation of policies and actions that could actually begin to turn things around. Ironically, their inaction and complacency will only further contribute to their own demise. We still have not found an effective way to end the debate and accept what appears to be a virtual unanimous opinion (at least among marine scientists here on list) that the science is settled and climate change must be effectively and resolutely addressed if we are to have any hope of conserving coral reefs for generations to come. DEMA's forceful response to the bloom of toxic cyanobacteria is laudable, but we can't wait until our coral reefs are all so obviously dead or dying to call for action on climate change. By then I fear it will clearly be a case of too little coming way too late.      Steve