[Coral-List] ICRS event - Smart Decisions to Sustain Coral Reefs

Ken Anthony K.Anthony at aims.gov.au
Thu Jun 16 23:01:33 EDT 2016

All delegates at ICRS in Hawaii next week are invited to attend our evening forum:

SMART DECISIONS TO SUSTAIN CORAL REEFS

When: 7:30PM to 9:30pm, Wednesday 22nd June
Where: Room 308AB, Hawaii Convention Center

Hosts: Hugh Possingham (The Nature Conservancy, University of Queensland), Ken Anthony and Aaron MacNeil (Australian Institute of Marine Science)

Panel:  Peter Kareiva (UCLA Institute of Environment and Sustainability), Ove Hoegh-Guldberg (Global Change Institute), Kirsten Oleson (University of Hawaii), Ben Halpern (UCSB), David Wachenfeld (Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority), Lizzie McLeod (The Nature Conservancy), John Pandolfi (University of Queensland) and David Obura (CORDIO)
Special guest: Bruce Anderson, Chief, Division of Aquatic Resources, DLNR, Hawaii
We invite you to help us tackle the most pressing challenges facing coral reef managers and policy makers worldwide:

-          Will conservation and management matter if climate change kills coral reefs anyway?

-          Can we really balance environmental, economic and social objectives?

-          Should we sacrifice some reefs to protect others?

-          What do managers need from scientists to make better decisions?

-          When do we say yes to genetically modified corals and fish?

-          What will it take to sustain healthy coral reefs in the 21st century and beyond?

Looking forward to an exciting evening with heated and productive discussions.

Hugh Possingham (h.possingham at uq.edu.au<mailto:h.possingham at uq.edu.au>)
Ken Anthony (k.anthony at aims.gov.au<mailto:k.anthony at aims.gov.au>)
Aaron MacNeil (macneil at glau.ca<mailto:macneil at glau.ca>)

Ken Anthony
Principal Research Scientist
Australian Institute of Marine Science

Adjunct Associate Professor
Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation Science, University of Queensland
Centre of Excellence for Math and Stats Frontiers, Queensland University of Technology

Tel: +61 417 856 682
Email: k.anthony at aims.gov.au<mailto:k.anthony at aims.gov.au>
www: www.aims.gov.au

The information contained within this transmission is for the
use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged material and/or material the subject
of copyright and/or personal information and/or sensitive
information that is subject to the Privacy Act 1988. Any review,
re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited. If you have received this email in error please
notify the AIMS Privacy Officer on (07) 4753 4444 and delete
all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.