[Coral-List] Coral reefs’ biggest threat is not what you think

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 17:06:29 EDT 2016

I note a statement in the original article that says that "Somewhat
counter-intuitively, fish biomass was higher in places with high local
human population growth rates, probably reflecting human migration to areas
of better environmental quality—a phenomenon that could result in increased
degradation at these sites over time."

I also note that the two locations with the highest fish biomass, Palau and
Chagos, have low population densities.  Of course, high population growth
rates can occur in places with either high or low population densities.
Growth rate and absolute density are two different variables.

Cheers,  Doug

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Sarah Frias-Torres <
sfrias_torres at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing.
>
> So we go full circle, and the coral reef crisis goes back to human
> overpopulation and overuse of resources.
>

> Perhaps this ICRS 2016 in Hawaii won't be a repeat of ICRS 2008 in Fort
> Lauderdale and we'll be able to speak openly about overpopulation and
> resource use, and how it kills coral reefs.
>

> Can't wait for an exciting exchange of ideas.
>

> Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
> Twitter: @GrouperDoc
> Blog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.com
> http://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres
>

> ________________________________

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS, and consultant
"have regulator, will travel"
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Earth's hot streak continues with warmest May since at least 1880.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-just-phoning-now-may-193634823.html

The political hurdles facing a carbon tax- and how to overcome them.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/26/11470804/carbon-tax-political-constraints

Solar can power more than 100 times America's current electricity needs, a
new report finds

http://www.theclimategroup.org/what-we-do/news-and-blogs/solar-can-power-more-than-100-times-americas-current-electricity-needs-new-report-finds

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner

blog: http://ocean.si.edu/blog/reefs-american-samoa-story-hope