[Coral-List] Trust peer-reviewed articles rather than the press

Nick Wehner nwehner at marineaffairs.org
Fri Mar 4 13:55:00 EST 2016

Please do keep in mind, that the vast majority of papers in this issue are not Open Access. In fact, of the 45 papers in this special issue, only 9 are available for free. At $40 per paper, it would cost $1,440 for just one person to read this special issue.

The idea, therefore, that the “general public” should only trust peer-reviewed publications is a non-starter. If the general public won’t even pay for newspapers anymore, do you really expect them to pay $40 for a single peer-reviewed paper?

Cheers,
-Nick

Nick Wehner
Project Manager, OpenChannels
Marine Affairs Research and Education (MARE)
http://openchannels.org | http://marinedebris.info | http://marineaffairs.org
nwehner at marineaffairs.org