[Coral-List] coral reefs scatter light like forests

Sam K samkahng at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 15:13:18 EST 2016

FYI - on the topic of light scattering to enhance/modulate PS in zooxanthellate taxa
Enriquez S, Méndez ER, Iglesias-Prieto R (2005) Multiple scattering on coral skeletons enhances light absorption by symbiotic algae. Limnol Oceanogr 50:1025-1032
Hoogenboom MO, Connolly SR, Anthony KRN (2008) Interactions between morphological and physiological plasticity optimize energy acquisition in corals. Ecology 89:1144-1154
Kaniewska P, Anthony KRN, Hoegh-Guldberg O (2008) Variation in colony geometry modulates internal light levels in branching corals, Acropora humilis and Stylophora pistillata. Mar Biol 155:649-660
Kahng SE, Hochberg EJ, Apprill A, Wagner D, Luck DG, Perez D, Bidigare RR (2012) Efficient light harvesting in deep-water zooxanthellate corals. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 455:65
Marcelino LA, Westneat MW, Stoyneva V, Henss J, Rogers JD, Radosevich A, Turzhitsky V, Siple M, Fang A, Swain TD, Fung J, Backman V (2013) Modulation of Light-Enhancement to Symbiotic Algae by Light-Scattering in Corals and Evolutionary Trends in Bleaching. PLoS One 8:e61492
Kahng
SE (2014) Unlocking the secrets of
Hawai‘i’s deep-water photosynthetic corals. Reef Encounter 29:1:19-22
Holt AL, Vahidinia S, Gagnon YL, Morse DE, Sweeney AM (2014) Photosymbiotic giant clams are transformers of solar flux. Journal of The Royal Society Interface 11