[Coral-List] Trust peer-reviewed articles rather than the press

Nick Wehner nwehner at marineaffairs.org
Fri Mar 4 16:52:14 EST 2016

I respectively disagree wholeheartedly with your logic.

First off, you’re assuming that the “general public” knows that they can email the corresponding author on an academic paper for the PDF. This is a lofty assumption.

That assumption implies the average individual has seen/read/experienced academic publications before. According to Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom#Education>  about 38% of the UK population has a college degree (the highest in Europe). Being very generous and assuming all of these individuals know they can email the corresponding author of a paywalled academic paper for access, that’s 24,592,080 people just in the UK.

Let’s say only 1% of those people read this news story, and wished to get access to one of these journal articles. That’s 245,921 people needing access.

Are you suggestion you’d be fine with nearly 250,000 extra emails in your inbox?

I hope this encourages everyone to think about where they publish their work before complaining about where the public gets their scientific information from.

Cheers,
-Nick

Nick Wehner
Project Manager, OpenChannels
Marine Affairs Research and Education (MARE)
http://openchannels.org | http://marinedebris.info | http://marineaffairs.org
nwehner at marineaffairs.org