[Coral-List] Teaching Mega-Fauna to eat Invasive P. Volitans

Matt Davies daviesm42 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 11:03:56 EST 2016

Damien,

I agree with Paul. There is very little concrete evidence that feeding
lionfish to sharks will lead to those predators hunting uninjured lionfish.
Although Diller et al. (2014) found both sharks and groupers will prey on
tethered, uninjured lionfish; and that this predation is greater on reefs
that are regularly culled than on those that are rarely culled.

Link:
https://cnsbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Coping-with-the-lion%EF%AC%81sh-invasion-Evidence-that-na%C3%AFve-native-predators-Diller-et-al-2014.pdf

Regarding safety concerns, I certainly cannot condone feeding lionfish to
predators. Here in St Eustatius I cull lionfish almost every day, and
encounter sharks whilst doing so almost as often. We never feed the sharks
that inevitably begin to circle. Despite this I have had several sharks
become aggressive, including biting my spear. Furthermore, the sharks here
have begun to come and make close approaches to divers who are not culling
lionfish. It seems to me that even in the absence of feeding, they are
beginning to associate divers with food.

Whilst I will freely admit your video looked exhilarating, I would not have
been comfortable in that situation. When there are multiple sharks circling
you things can go from fairly calm to very dangerous in a matter of
seconds. You may think you can read the sharks or the situation, but
predicating the actions of multiple wild predators is very difficult and
usually impossible.

Regards,
Matt