[Coral-List] Subject: Grand Cayman- Coral reefs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 15:50:49 EDT 2016

   Hi Croy,
   I would like to make it known that my comments relating to the declining
   conditions of Grand Cayman's coral reefs were not meant as an indictment of
   the DOE. I know that there are many dedicated individuals working within the
   department who share my concerns and that they often work tirelessly in an
   attempt to change the downward trajectory. Unfortunately that doesn't always
   seem to translate into effective government policies, increasing public
   awareness and change for the better. Again, the DOE is not the culprit here,
   but decisions like the advancement of plans to build a new cruise ship
   berthing pier seem to me to be wrong minded if the ultimate goal is to bring
   about a revitalization of GC's declining coral reef ecosystem. The article
   that precipitated this thread
   (https://caymannewsservice.com/2016/03/dart-seeks-to-dig-up-7mb-beachrock/)
   just seemed to point out yet another potential indiscretion. On the other
   hand, your announcement of a planned enhancement of MPAs and no-take zones
   is encouraging. I just hope this doesn't prove to be too little, too late.
   Warm Regards, Steve