[Coral-List] Barrier reef bleaching

Griffin, Dale dgriffin at usgs.gov
Mon Mar 28 07:30:40 EDT 2016

Doug......perhaps a reason why a similar event hasn't been reported in the
Atlantic is that no one has undertaken a similar campaign.....also there is
the issue of microbial strains...take E.coli as an example..numerous
strains, of which only some are pathogenic...which is a good thing since
all of us harbor this species in our guts.......so to ID a strain in a dust
sample and find that it is not pathogenic means simply that you did not
find a pathogenic strain.....to assume that this means African dust can't
be a vector based on your observation is short sighted......

"Everybody is ignorant, just on different subjects"
                                           Will Rogers

Dale W. Griffin, Ph.D., MSPH, MCSS, MCLES, MCOL
Environmental/Public Health Microbiologist
United States Geological Survey
600 4th Street South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Office # - 727-502-8075