[Coral-List] using bubbles to remove CO2 from reef water

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri May 6 09:21:28 EDT 2016

   " . . . the people to whom you re trying to communicate primarily listen to
   the context channel"

   Well then, let's put this into context.

   How  is  our industry going to grow and prosper in a world with vastly
   depleted coral reefs ecosystems? Can we compensate for the losses through
   restoration  efforts or by developing more artificial reefs? As marine
   wildlife becomes more scarce can we facilitate interactions by provisioning?
    Wait, aren't we already resorting to these measures and if so, isn't that
   an indication that we already know where we are headed?

   "land-based pollutants, over-fishing and climate change are among our chief
   concerns.â

   "But the diving industry doesnât feel it is responsible for any of those
   things, so why should they fix them"?

   The diving industry certainly isn't responsible for creating the problem,
   but we have all contributed and let's not forget that our industry's fate is
   in sync with that of coral reefs. We can't solve the problem alone, but
   isn't in our own best interest to actively promote possible solutions?

   "If you want to get their attention, develop some statistics and arguments
   that show their businesses ARE ALREADY DYING and it will get worse if they
   donât get more people back into the ocean, so theyâd better pay attention to
   those âconcernsâ because of their bottom line"

   As for the bottom line, the diving industry isn't what it used to be. Is it
   just a coincidence that our industry and the world's coral reefs seem to be
   traveling along parallel trajectories?

   "And if your data doesnât show it already happening, and is escalating, then
   they will ignore you as yet another gloom-and-doom environmentalist".

   I guess that argument can always be used, but that brings us back to the
   facts  (content).  Diving if anything is science based. Every diver is
   immersed in gas laws and physics. Why not add a little more coral reef
   ecology to the curriculum?  After all, don't we owe it to them?

   Regards,

   Steve

   .