[Coral-List] Documenting 'unusual' reefs - new paper

Nicole Crane nicrane at cabrillo.edu
Mon May 16 10:41:33 EDT 2016

Happy Monday all,

we’d like to draw your attention to a small paper we just published documenting ‘unusual’ reefs on Ulithi Atoll, Micronesia.  We’d be interested in any other reports of fast growing (especially Montipora) reefs elsewhere in the Pacific.  The people of Ulithi Atoll have concerns about this coral, saying it has relatively recently (within the last 20 years) overgrown their reefs and caused declines in both invertebrates and fishes on which they depend for food.  Our research out there supports that these reefs have both lower diversity and less biomass of fish than other reefs.  Here is a link to the paper:
Corallimorph and Montipora Reefs in Ulithi Atoll, Micronesia: documenting unusual reefs
http://www.oceansciencefoundation.org/josf21b.html <http://www.oceansciencefoundation.org/josf21b.html>

Best to all!

Nicole

Nicole L. Crane