[Coral-List] Living Oceans Foundation Education Portal

Philip Renaud Prenaud at livingoceansfoundation.org
Mon May 23 14:59:38 EDT 2016

Living Oceans Foundation Launches Education Portal
The Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation is proud to announce the launch of our new Education Portal<https://www.livingoceansfoundation.org/education/portal/>. This custom-built online platform contains our comprehensive Coral Reef Ecology Curriculum, complete with lesson plans, quizzes, educational videos, and interactives designed to educate people about coral reefs. This educational resource is free to anyone with an internet connection. You can even create an account to keep track of your progress, record your scores on quizzes, earn badges, and learn at your own pace.
We designed the Coral Reef Ecology Curriculum for students and teachers, but it is a useful resource for anyone interested in learning about coral reefs. It brings 21st century coral reef education into the classroom and promises to be a great resource for high school science teachers. Teachers can download worksheets, get ideas for fun and instructive classroom activities, and track the progress of their students.
All of the lesson plans and classroom exercises are aligned to the U.S. Common Core State Standards (CCSS)<http://www.corestandards.org/>, as well as the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)<http://www.nextgenscience.org/next-generation-science-standards> and the Ocean Literacy Principles (OLP)<http://oceanliteracy.wp2.coexploration.org/ocean-literacy-framework/principles-and-concepts/>. They can be integrated into a variety of STEM courses including biology, chemistry, art, and math. The curriculum covers a wide variety of topics - most of the lesson plans use coral reefs as an example to teach broad themes relating to the natural world and our environment.
The curriculum currently contains 11 units on topics including coral anatomy, classification, ecology, and reproduction...and we will continue to develop additional units as time goes on!
SIGN UP!
To learn more and sign up for a free user account, visit: www.lof.org/CoralReefCurriculum<http://www.lof.org/CoralReefCurriculum>.

CAPT Philip G. Renaud, USN(ret)
Executive Director
Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation
130 Severn Ave, Suite 100
Annapolis, MD 21403
www.livingoceansfoundation.org<http://www.livingoceansfoundation.org/>
(443) 221-6844 x201