[Coral-List] Next steps with the GCRMN - identifying coral reef essential variables for monitoring and reporting on reef health.
dobura at cordioea.net
Mon May 30 09:35:32 EDT 2016
In 2017-2020 a programme is proposed under ICRI to strengthen the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network (GCRMN). The process will implement standards developed under the Global Ocean Observing System and GEOBON’s Working Group 5 on Oceans (see url links below). These focus on selecting key variables, improving standards for measuring and aggregating them, and reporting them (making them available) to relevant end-users in management and policy circles.
A Town Hall Meeting will be held at the ICRS titled “ Coral reef reporting - from science to policy” (joined with a complementary workshop on Conservation Evidence) on 22 June 2016 – 19:30-21:30; Room 301B, at which this will be discussed and ideas sought from ICRS participants on priorities with respect to the most important coral reef variables for global monitoring.
A two-part questionnaire has been developed on google forms, to collect some preliminary information prior to ICRS. The forms can be accessed from the web-page below, or from their individual urls;
1) Introductory page to the survey, with further detail on the project as it develops - http://cordioea.net/gcrmn2017-2020 [http://cordioea.net/gcrmn2017-2020] .
2) Part A - data sharing and use; GCRMN as concept/pilot/mature; comments/suggestions - FILL THIS ONCE – http://goo.gl/forms/ULH4nTzw9GHCC6gq1 [http://goo.gl/forms/ULH4nTzw9GHCC6gq1] .
3) Part B - potential Essential Variables (EVs) for coral reefs - FILL THIS FOR AS MANY VARIABLES AS YOU CAN SUGGEST – http://goo.gl/forms/Iww1cHutyEjLnbuP2 [http://goo.gl/forms/Iww1cHutyEjLnbuP2] .
Findings from the questionnaires and the ICRS Town Hall meeting will carry forward into GEOBON and IUCN Conferences later this year, and thence into the 2017-2020 workplan under a proposed SCOR working group.
Thanks for your time in filling the questionnaires – whether you plan to attend the Town Hall meeting or not.
David Obura, on behalf of the ICRI/GCRMN, GOOS BioEco, GEOBON WG5, SCOR group (potential) and ICRS Town Hall meeting participants.
* GOOS Biodiversity and Ecosystems Panel - http://www.ioc-goos.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=399&Itemid=100206&lang=en [http://www.ioc-goos.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=399&Itemid=100206&lang=en] )
* GEOBON WG 5 on Oxeans - http://geobon.org/working-groups/working-group-5-marine-ecosystem-change/ [http://geobon.org/working-groups/working-group-5-marine-ecosystem-change/]
* SCOR working groups - www.scor-int.org [http://www.scor-int.org] ).
CORDIO East Africa
#9 Kibaki Flats, Kenyatta Beach, Bamburi Beach
P.O.BOX 10135 Mombasa 80101, Kenya
www.cordioea.net ; Email: dobura at cordioea.net [dobura at cordioea.net] ; davidobura at gmail.com [davidobura at gmail.com]
Mobile: +254-715 067417 [tel:+254-715 067417] ; skype dobura; Twitter @dobura
More information about the Coral-List