[Coral-List] Fwd: Has the death of the Great Barrier Reef been greatly, exaggerated??

Kuffner, Ilsa ikuffner at usgs.gov
Tue Nov 1 10:34:14 EDT 2016

For Coral-listers interested in this thread,

Lauren Toth and I recently published a review paper on this very subject.
Please see:

Kuffner, I. B., and L. T. Toth. 2016. A geological perspective on the
degradation and conservation of western Atlantic coral reefs. Conservation
Biology 30:706-715.
Available open-access at
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cobi.12725/abstract

Abstract:
Continuing coral-reef degradation in the western Atlantic is resulting in
loss of ecological and geologic functions of reefs. With the goal of
assisting resource managers and stewards of reefs in setting and measuring
progress toward realistic goals for coral-reef conservation and
restoration, we examined reef degradation in this region from a geological
perspective. The importance of ecosystem services provided by coral
reefs—as breakwaters that dissipate wave energy and protect shorelines and
as providers of habitat for innumerable species—cannot be overstated.
However, the few coral species responsible for reef building in the western
Atlantic during the last approximately 1.5 million years are not thriving
in the 21st century. These species are highly sensitive to abrupt
temperature extremes, prone to disease infection, and have low sexual
reproductive potential. Their vulnerability and the low functional
redundancy of branching corals have led to the low resilience of western
Atlantic reef ecosystems. The decrease in live coral cover over the last 50
years highlights the need for study of relict (senescent) reefs, which,
from the perspective of coastline protection and habitat structure, may be
just as important to conserve as the living coral veneer. Research is
needed to characterize the geological processes of bioerosion, reef
cementation, and sediment transport as they relate to modern-day changes in
reef elevation. For example, although parrotfish remove nuisance
macroalgae, possibly promoting coral recruitment, they will not save
Atlantic reefs from geological degradation. In fact, these fish are quickly
nibbling away significant quantities of Holocene reef framework. The
question of how different biota covering dead reefs affect framework
resistance to biological and physical erosion needs to be addressed.
Monitoring and managing reefs with respect to physical resilience, in
addition to ecological resilience, could optimize the expenditure of
resources in conserving Atlantic reefs and the services they provide.

Cheers, Ilsa

Ilsa B. Kuffner, Ph.D.
U.S. Geological Survey
St. Petersburg Coastal & Marine Science Center
600 4th Street South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701

Email: ikuffner at usgs.gov
Tel: (727) 502-8048