[Coral-List] Fwd: Has the death of the Great Barrier Reef been greatly, exaggerated??

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Tue Nov 1 10:39:46 EDT 2016

All good points - as the physical (i.e., structural/geological) and the
biological (i.e., everything "on" and often including everything within and
above but live") reefs have two very different management contexts.
However, we shouldn't forget the connections between the two. Past
biological communities were the primary builders of the present spatial
heterogeneity. Conversely, the present live community depends on the
spatial complexity of that physical structure. Thus, they are inextricably
linked in a cycle.

But, drilling deeper into the relationship, past *corals* (and other
carbonate producers, recyclers) contributed directly to the edifice
(although in a MUCH more complex loop than most researchers acknowledge).
In contrast, fish really do not depend on live *corals* as much as they do
on the physical complexity of the substrate - case in point, the Florida
Keys (Gene's postscript correctly states "no rocks, no water, no ecosystem"
and not "no corals, no water, no reef").

This is not to say that corals don't matter, but you can put out anything
from a "reef ball" to a leaking toxic waste drum full of spent nuclear fuel
and fish will come to it in droves (if there is no better complexity
available; the latter is a real case, and I haven't seen much different in
"reef growth" between the two. So, we have to be very careful about what we
are trying to "save" when we decide how to characterize the "reef".

And please.... let's put the "GBR obituary" in the ground.

Best,

Dennis