[Coral-List] Response to Dennis Hubbard, Hector Reyes Bonilla, and Curt Storlazzi:

Lessios, Harilaos LESSIOSH at si.edu
Wed Oct 12 15:55:36 EDT 2016

As Mike brought up previous work of mine, I might as well put my two cents worth into this discussion.   Some points to remember:

1.  Direction of invasion is not necessarily the same as direction of subsequent gene flow.
2.  Genera that include transpacific species are a small minority.  In the majority, eastern and central Pacific contain different species.
3.  When a species is absent from a region, we do not know whether it is because it cannot get there, or because it is excluded for ecological reasons.. For example, there are a number of central Pacific species (including Acanthaster) in the Gulf of Chiriqui that never get into the Bay of Panama.  Acanthurus triostegus and Zanclus cornutus are even found on Isla Gorgona on the western end of the Bay of Panama, but they never make it in the Perlas Archipelago only a few tens of km away.
4. One ENSO event is very different from another, whereas genetics are the result of processes that span thousands of generations.

When all these points are taken into account, any generalization about regional faunas made on the basis of what a few species do, or what one ENSO has done, becomes tenuous.

H.A. Lessios
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
Balboa, Panama

Telephone: +507/212-8708
Fax: +507/212-8791
Telephone from the USA (domestic call): 202-212-8708

Mail address:
>From the USA:
UNIT 0948
DPO AA 34002