[Coral-List] more on oxybenzone and corals

Tim Brown - NOAA Affiliate tim.brown at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 17 19:51:34 EDT 2016

Can anyone provide links to the primary literature for
oxybenzone/sunscreen/coral research?
Interested in complete papers or articles.

thanks!

Tim

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Eugene Shinn <eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu>
wrote:

> This was sent to me earlier. I thought it might interest coral
> researchers. Gene
>
> Re: Recommendation of Coral-Safe Sunscreen for Upcoming Ironman Event
> To:    Ironman World Headquarters    Cc: 2701 North Rocky Point Drive
> Tampa, FL 33607
> kona at ironman.com press at ironman.com kona at ironmanvolunteers.com
> david.deschenes at ironman.com
> Dear Ironman organizers and staff,
> Tom Hasslinger, Editor, West Hawai’i Today
> thasslinger at westhawaiitoday.com Cindi Evans repevans at capitol.hawaii.gov
> Nicole Lowen replowen at capitol.hawaii.gov Maile David
> maile.david at hawaiicounty.gov Margaret Wille
> margaret.wille at hawaiicounty.gov Dru Kanuha dru.kanuha at hawaiicounty.gov
> Karen Eoff karen.eoff at hawaiicounty.gov
> Will Espero senespero at capitol.hawaii.gov Dan Mersberg
> daniel.k.mersburgh at hawaii.gov West Hawai’i Sunscreen Retailers
> September 21, 2016
> As the Ironman rapidly approaches, our organizations feel it is
> imperative to draw your attention to emerging research on the lethal
> effects of a common sunscreen ingredient, oxybenzone (benzophenone-3;
> BP-3), on our treasured coral reef ecosystems. Last year, Hawai’i’s
> corals were devastated by a massive and unprecedented coral bleaching
> event, which resulted in the loss of 50% of our corals.    In response,
> numerous state and local agencies have been working tirelessly to
> promote the recovery our corals. As the thousands of Ironman athletes,
> family, supporters, and staff join us on Hawai’i Island in the coming
> weeks, we respectfully ask that you support the efforts to promote the
> use of coral-safe sunscreens!
> Research on Toxic Effects:
>  The chemical, oxybenzone (a.k.a. benzophenone-3), commonly used in
> many sunscreens, has been shown to increase the rate of coral bleaching,
> and to cause deformities in coral larvae, making them unable to swim,
> settle, or form new colonies.
>  Sunscreen chemicals wash off of users when they enter the ocean,
> particularly if sunscreen is applied just before getting in.
>  The Ironman event falls during an important coral larval settlement
> period in West Hawai’i, following late summer spawning events.
>  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has detected oxybenzone
> in more than 96 percent of the American population. Oxybenzone can cause
> allergic skin reactions and may disrupt hormones.
>  Research continues on other potentially harmful chemicals including
> avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, octinoxate,
> methoxycinnamate, camphors, parabens, and nanoparticle form of certain
> minerals.
> State and International Support:
>  Scientists at the International Coral Reef Symposium (June 2016) and
> the IUCN World Conservation Congress (September 2016) agreed on the
> negative impacts of oxybenzone and other sunscreen chemicals on corals,
> [...]

*Timothy BrownMokupapapa Discovery Center*
*Papahanoumokuakea Marine National Monument*
76 Kamehameha Ave
Hilo, HI 96720
tim.brown at noaa.gov