[Coral-List] CSIRO postdoctoral position "genomics of stress tolerance in coral symbionts"

Madeleine van Oppen M.vanoppen at aims.gov.au
Wed Oct 19 03:00:55 EDT 2016

*        An exciting opportunity to conduct novel research with real-world impact!
*        Work with leaders in the field to help preserve and protect our coral reefs
*        Join CSIRO Land & Water and kick-start your research career!

The Position
CSIRO offers PhD graduates an opportunity to launch their scientific careers through our Postdoctoral Fellowships. These fellowships provide experience that will enhance career prospects and facilitate the development of potential leaders for CSIRO.

Applications are invited for a three-year CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship investigating the molecular basis of heat stress tolerance in Symbiodinium microalgae of corals. Coral bleaching is a major problem threatening coral reefs worldwide, including large sections of the Great Barrier Reef.

Coral bleaching is caused by a heat stress-induced expulsion of the corals' algal symbionts, and there is growing evidence that thermal tolerance in the symbionts may contribute to climate resilience in corals.

In this role you will apply a combined transcriptomic and metabolomic approach to achieve a mechanistic understanding of these heat tolerance traits in Symbiodinium.

Specifically you will:
*        Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
*        Working with CSIRO colleagues and collaborators at University of Melbourne and AIMS, design experiments to investigate the molecular basis for traits in Symbiodinium microalgae that may contribute to heat stress tolerance in corals and carry out the genomic, transcriptomic and metabolomic components of those experiments.
*        Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
*        Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.

Location: Canberra, ACT
Salary: AUS$81K - AUS$88K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
Reference: 26942

To be successful you will need:
*        A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area.

Owing to terms of the fellowship, candidates must have no more than 3 years full-time postdoctoral research experience.

Before applying, we encourage you to read the full position description for this role. This document can be viewed at:
Position details document<http://www.csiro.au/~/media/Positions/2016/LW/26942_Postdoc_Fellow_genomics_stress_tolerance_PD.docx>

Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)<http://www.csiro.au/>
AT CSIRO WE INVENT THE FUTURE - We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Our solutions make a difference to industry, people and the planet.
As Australia's national science agency, we've been pushing the edge of what's possible for almost 90 years. Today we have thousands of talented people working across Australia and internationally. Our people work closely with industry and communities to leave a lasting legacy. Collectively, our innovation and excellence places us in the top ten applied research agencies in the world. - WE COLLABORATE TO INNOVATE

How to Apply: Please upload one document only containing both your CV/Resume and cover letter, ensuring that you have provided enough information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.

Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, 31 October 2016

Prof Madeleine van Oppen
Australian Institute of Marine Science
PMB No 3, Townsville, MC
Queensland 4810
Australia
Ph: +61-7-47534370
Mobile: 0409267577

School of BioSciences
The University of Melbourne
VIC 3010  AUSTRALIA
E-mail: madeleine.van at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:madeleine.van at unimelb.edu.au>
Office:+61 3 83448286
Mobile: 0409267577

The information contained within this transmission is for the
use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged material and/or material the subject
of copyright and/or personal information and/or sensitive
information that is subject to the Privacy Act 1988. Any review,
re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited. If you have received this email in error please
notify the AIMS Privacy Officer on (07) 4753 4444 and delete
all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.