[Coral-List] Fact Checking - 25% of all marine life supported by reefs?

Jeremy Raynor jmraynor at eckerd.edu
Thu Oct 20 16:25:40 EDT 2016

Hello Coral-Listers,

I often run across a variation this "25% fact":

*Coral Reefs are home to 25% of all marine life*

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/blue_planet/coasts/coral_reefs/

or

*Coral reefs support 25% of all marine fish species*

http://www.defenders.org/coral-reef/basic-facts
https://www.iucn.org/content/coral-reefs-facts-and-figures
http://coral.org/coral-reefs-101/coral-reef-ecology/coral-reef-biodiversity/

Although I think that this statement is likely to be accurate, I was
wondering if someone can point to some actual numbers, scientific papers or
studies which may explain the origin of the "25%" fact.

I did find it cited in some papers which all seem to lead back to a WWF and
UNEP document, please find the cited pathway below:

*Each Paper Cites the One Below it*

http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1059&context=delpf

http://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1203&context=sdlp

Origin? -->
http://www.icriforum.org/sites/default/files/Conventions_CoralReefs.pdf

More than anything I am just curious if its, ALL marine life, or just Fish
species, and if we can track down some numbers or paper showing this.

Many thanks and be well!
Jeremy Raynor

The Amiga Island Ecological Foundation

Coral Restoration Project Coordinator