[Coral-List] PhD Scholarships available: Acclimation/Adaptation of reef algae to global climate change
g.diaz-pulido at griffith.edu.au
Thu Sep 15 20:23:30 EDT 2016
I am interested in receiving applications for two studentships/scholarships
to commence PhD studies in the Coral Reef Algae Ecology Lab at Griffith
University-Brisbane in Jan-Feb 2017.
The PhD candidates will join a recently funded project in collaboration
with A/Prof Catriona Hurd (Univ. of Tasmania) and Prof Bob Steneck (Univ.
of Maine) to investigate the potential for tropical macroalgae to
acclimate/adapt to global environmental changes. Special emphasis will be
placed on coralline and fleshy algae from the Great Barrier Reef.
*Interested candidates should:*
• Be able to commence by January – February 2017.
• Have diving experience and ideally basic to moderate knowledge of coral
• Condition of the scholarship requires applicants to have a Bachelor of
Science with Honours with at least one or more publication(s) as first
author. Non-Australian applicants must have a Masters Degree (or
equivalent) with preferably one or more publication(s) as first author.
• Have excellent understanding of experimental design and quantitative
• Be able to spend time in remote research stations.
• Be self-motivated, committed, and able to work as part of a team..
• Have strong proficiency in written English.
• Interested applicants should email me at their earliest convenience (
g.diaz-pulido at griffith.edu.au) with a statement of interest, a curriculum
vitae and contact information for 2 professional references. Shortlisted
candidates will be interviewed (by telephone or Skype) and successful
candidates will be recommended to apply to the university scholarship
A final selection panel will decide on the award of scholarships.
• Further application information is available here:
• Funding: Griffith University Postgraduate Research Scholarship-GUPRS
provides a living allowance of AUD $26,288 per annum. Australian and NZ
citizens and Australian permanent residents are exempt from paying tuition
fees. The Griffith University International Postgraduate Research
Scholarship – GUIPRS covers tuition fees for the international applicant
for up to three years.
• Applications to the university scholarship scheme close: *Monday 3
• Applications without personal contact with the prospective supervisor
(Diaz-Pulido) are unlikely to succeed, so take the initiative and *start
the conversation now*!
Please forward this post to your best senior Undergraduate / Masters
students interested in commencing a PhD degree.
Guillermo Diaz-Pulido, PhD
Griffith School of Environment
Nathan Campus / Griffith University / 170 Kessels Road
Brisbane, Nathan QLD 4111, Australia
Member of the Australian Rivers Institute, Coast & Estuaries.
Tel: + 61 7 373 53840 / Fax: +61 7 373 57459
Email: *g.diaz-pulido at griffith.edu.au <g.diaz-pulido at griffith.edu.au>*
Web site: *http://coralreefalgaelab.org/ <http://coralreefalgaelab.org/>*
More information about the Coral-List