[Coral-List] Swimming and scuba diving--- and Sargassum weed (two subjects in one email)

MelissaE Keyes melissae.keyes at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 10:20:15 EDT 2016

Hi, folks,
Many scuba divers come from places where they simply cannot swim very often..  Backyard pools are for splashing and having fun, schools don't necessarily have pools and competitive swimming, and the ocean and other beaches are far away.  Living in the Caribbean, I used to snorkel a lot before I learned to dive.  When I became a diver, I eschewed snorkeling for years.  Then I became appreciative of the ease, and simple gear needed for snorkeling.  To struggle with plain swimming, using my tiny finless feet, is something I don't enjoy, so don't do.  Divers from northern cities and suburbs who have only a week for a vacation will dive, not swim or snorkel, for the most part.
About Sargassum, some is showing up in the last three or four weeks on the beaches here on St. Croix, in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Caribbean Sea.  It isn't nearly as thick as it was the last time.  I'll comment again in a month or so, if it becomes worse.
Cheers,
Melissa

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Melissa E. Keyes St. Croix, U.S.Virgin Islands