[Coral-List] Worst places to harvest coral for aquarium trade?

Bruce Carlson exallias2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 13:35:24 EDT 2017

Sarah,

You said:

> Continuing live coral harvesting means loving corals to death, until one day, someone will hold the dubious record of having the last live coral... in an aquarium.

You might consider a different scenario:  someday the only place you will see healthy corals will be in aquariums, but not because they have all been harvested.  If current trends of environmental degradation and ocean warming continue, probably a large number of coral species may disappear in the wild.  Aquariums do offer the possibility that many of these corals can continue to exist, perhaps indefinitely.  Case in point: some of the corals that I collected in the late 1970ʻs are still thriving and have been shared with many other public aquariums, and I expect that, with care, some of them may be around long after I am not.

But if aquariums are to become a last refuge for (some/many?) corals, much more work needs to be done to ensure that the pedigree of each colony (and daughter colonies) be recorded and maintained.  Presently, corals are often just part of displays that help people see and appreciate these organisms, and hopefully learn more about them.  That is good, but the corals would be even more valuable if coral keepers had better information on the origin of each coral, and if they could somehow tag and track each coral for years and decades.  I think it is fair to say that the origin of most corals in most aquariums is unknown.  Furthermore, when aquarists move on to new jobs, much of the information they had goes with them.  Record-keeping for corals is difficult at best.

Perhaps new facilities could someday be established with the sole mission to become “aquatic arks” to manage a high diversity of threatened corals and other reef species in perpetuity.  I hope we never reach that dismal future where this becomes necessary, but given current trends, we ought to be thinking about such options.

Aloha
Bruce