[Coral-List] Coral-List Digest, Vol 104, Issue 5

Ron Hill (NOAA Federal) ron.hill at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 7 10:56:34 EDT 2017

Colin,

You make some very good points about folks who keep aquaria and spend
time and money in pursuit of coral aquaculture.  I know some of those
folks and agree they can produce ecological insights and benefits.
However, as with the discussion of divers and the dive industry being
inherently different - there are also a very large number of people
worldwide - who simply keep aquaria to look at and enjoy.  This includes
companies that set-up, stock, and manage aquaria for businesses and
individuals.  Many fish and corals die in these tanks and are simply
replaced to maintain the aesthetic beauty of the tank without regard to
the ecological costs.  Any idea how many of these types of tanks and
fish tank people there are worldwide compared to those who actively
culture corals, etc?  Seems this is an important statistic to discuss in
the stated context of harvest of wild corals.

Regards,

ron