[Coral-List] New paper on coral species; hybridization or polymorphism?

Zac Forsman zac at hawaii.edu
Fri Apr 7 15:16:14 EDT 2017

Dear friends and colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to a new study with some
implications for understanding coral species and their patterns of
variation.  With genomic data we find evidence for surprising
morphological variation within an interbreeding group that can best be
explained by either phenotypic polymorphism, or hybridization. There
is also some unexpected genetic structure within the complex that
warrants further investigation.  We have some interesting new data in
the que and I believe this is just the tip of a very interesting and
puzzling iceburg.

-All the best, Zac.

Forsman ZH, Knapp ISS, Eaton DAR, Belcaid M, Toonen RJ (2017) Coral
hybridization or polymorphism? Genomic data reveal gene flow between
Porites lobata and P. compressa.  Molecular Phylogenetics and
Evolution. 111. 132-148

This link will provide open access for a few days then it is behind a paywall:

https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1UqKT3m3nMmhGO