[Coral-List] "Worst places to harvest coral for aquarium trade?"

Walt Smith walt at waltsmith.com
Sun Apr 9 20:25:15 EDT 2017

Dear all,
I have been watching this thread from the sidelines and although I have a
lot to say on this subject I have found from experience that it is a long a
difficult battle to get some people to believe or understand the truth of
what is actually going on. I also find that, in most cases, these same
people refuse to recognize facts and carefully collected scientific data
that supports the aquarium fishery as one of the most sustainable and
valuable fishery in countries with fewer choices of employment than most of
us would imagine.
The mind stops allowing rational clear thinking when confronted with a
compassionate question such as "would you like to save the coral reef" and
takes the obvious path without bothering to consider the whole story. I have
also found that, no matter what, you will never gain a positive audience
among those who are committed to the idea that no living organism should be
held in captivity. I find this similar to a vegan point of view and although
I might not agree with all of the principles I respect their dedication to
their personal beliefs as long as you do not condemn a viable and
sustainable industry while closing your mind to the facts that exist.
Of course, you could say that I am biased because of my chosen profession
but you could also say that I am extremely passionate (as many like me are)
about the care and maintenance of our natural resources. As Charles pointed
out most people do not realize the magnitude of the resource we are dealing
with and how minuscule our harvest of small, highly selective pieces of
living coral actually is. In a non-detriment study on my particular area it
was found that we harvest approx. .001% of a given resource. But if you
consider the amount of coral we actually replace by our coral farming
efforts we actually have positive impact rather than negative. I have found
that most people would rather believe a m ore rational stance that if we are
taking then destruction must be the result.
I would like to point out that, although I have been credited for being one
of the original pioneers in coral farming (since 1998), this would never
have been possible if it were not for the Marine Aquarium trade which
inspired me to carry out this highly unprofitable work. At any given time we
have over 50,000 - 90,000 pieces of living coral growing on our racks, most
of which get planted on the reef at our expense. A very minute amount of
this is distributed to the Aquarium trade  for various reasons that include
the overall size of the industry and competition from other countries that
have also followed this model we helped to create. Just this last week I was
on our farm sites about 150 miles from our main facility and was amazed at
the amount of living coral that had been transplanted by us on a completely
dead reef flat during this past year. There were literally thousands of
(substantial in size) corals growing out of the ruble. Some pictures of this
appear on our company Facebook page.
I am convinced that the majority of marine aquarium enthusiast around the
world are more informed and highly passionate about matters concerning the
state of the world's coral reefs than most of this audience choses to
believe. I have always said that this experience gained by the hobby makes a
perfect blend and contribution to science if all sides would come together
and share useful information that could benefit our environment.
Asking the industry or science to identify the "bad guys" for the sake of a
campaign to sell jewelry, in my opinion, is not grounded in useful
information. Accusing the industry of trying to keep secrets for the benefit
of protecting huge profit margins also shows little regard for the truth. In
all the years I have been doing this work I have yet to meet a millionaire
that gained his fame and fortune in this business. In most cases that I know
of it is more about passion than fortune and I always say "if you want to
get rich you should find something else to do". But it is a business after
all and there is plenty of competition, so to address the "secret theory" I
would like you to consider a more reasonable fact. If you are at the
receiving end of the supply chain and you happen to have a very good
supplier that contributes to your business success it is not in your best
interest to share that name with your competitor for obvious reasons. The
same is true in most businesses so why is this practice subject to such
unscrupulous suspicion in our highly sensitive business?
I beg that science and industry come together and share what we have
learned. Our industry has a lot to offer, perhaps more than the financially
restricted scientific organizations doing valuable work but only on a small
scale due to the size of their grant. I know this plight well because of my
own personal dream regarding the NGO www.adeproject.org  which so far has
received very limited funding from outside and is mostly funded by my (dare
I say it) Marine Ornamental export business.
Thank you for allowing me this long post,
Walt Smith